Full Marks – 80
Time – Three Hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
1. (a) “Profit maximisation remains the most important objective of business firms in spite of multiplicity of alternative business objectives suggested by the modern economists.” Comment. 16
(b) What are the major areas of business decision making? How does economic theory contribute to managerial decision? Also discuss the importance of microeconomics in the decision making process. 5+7+4=16
2. (a) How is market demand for a commodity derived? Derive the market demand curve by assuming three individual demand curves for a product. Explain the determinants of market demand. 3+5+8=16
(b) Distinguish between the following with illustration: 8+8=16
1) Price elasticity and income elasticity.
2) Arc elasticity and point elasticity.
3. Answer any four of the following: 4×4=16
a) Explain the scope of demand forecasting.
b) Discuss four objectives of demand forecasting.
c) Discuss the sample survey and test marketing techniques of demand forecasting.
d) Mention the difference between forecasting a new product and an established product.
e) Mention the criteria for the choice of a good forecasting method.
4. (a) Explain the process of price determination of a multi-plant producer. 16
(b) (i) Explain the degree of price discrimination. 10
(ii) Discuss the factors under which price discrimination is possible. 6
5. (a) Define Inflation. Discuss the demand side and supply side causes of inflation. How can demand-pull inflation be controlled? 2+10+4=16
(b) What is Business cycle? Explain the features of business cycle. Discuss the measures that can control business cycles. 3+5+8=16