Full Marks: 100
Time: Three hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
PART A: STATISTICS FOR ECONOMICS
1. Answer the following questions:
a) Statistics deals with only quantitative data. (True/False) 1
b) What do you mean by statistical enquiry? 1
c) What is primary data? 1
d) Find out mode from the following data: 1
2, 3, 5, 2, 2, 7, 5, 2
e) What do you mean by zero correlation? 1
f) What is a project? 1
2. Write two importance of the study of statistics in economics. 2
What do you mean by economic and non-economic activities? 2
3. State two advantages of classification of data. 2
4. Mention two sources of secondary data. 2
5. What is arithmetic mean? Write its one advantage. 2
6. What is range? Calculation range from the following data: 46 57 28 65 85 61 58 2
7. What do you mean by consumer price index number? 2
8. State four characteristics of a good average. 4
9. Find out mean deviation from the following data: 25 20 18 15 23 17 24 2+2=4
State two merits and two demerits of standard deviation.
10. What do you mean by positive and negative correlation? Write two characteristics of co-efficient of correlation. 2+2=4
11. State two uses and two limitations of index number. 2+2=4
Calculate price relatives from the following data taking 2010 as the base year:
Year: 2010 2011 2012 2013
Price: 70 85 35 20
12. Mention the steps in preparing a project.
13. State an advantage of a diagram. Point out a difference between diagram and graph. Expenditure of a family in different heads in a year is as follows: 1+1+4=6
|Heads of Expenditure||Expenditure (in Rs.)|
Represent the above data with the help of a pie-diagram.
What is sampling? Discuss sampling and non-sampling errors.
14. Calculate quartile deviation from the following data: 1+5=6
Roll No.: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Marks: 20 28 40 12 30 15 50
What is index number? Discuss the steps in constructing index number.
PART B: INDIAN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
15. (a) Define Planning. 1
(b) What was the main source of livelihood in India at the pre-independence period? 1
(c) What do you mean by seasonal unemployment? 1
(d) Name a financial institution that supplies industrial finance in India. 1
(e) What is environment? 1
(f) When was the First Five year plan commenced in India? 1
16. What is mixed economy? Do you think that it is fruitful to an under-developed country? 2
17. Name two employment generation programmes adopted by the Government of India. 2
18. Give two arguments for new economic reforms. 2
19. Give two arguments against privatisation. 2
20. Write two causes of rapid growth of population in India. 2
21. Give two examples of non-renewable resource. 2
22. State four problems of human capital formation in India. 4
Discuss the role of education in economic development of a community.
23. State two advantages and two disadvantages of liberalisation. 2+2=4
24. What do you mean by rural development? Mention two subjects related to rural development. 2+2=4
Mention four causes of environmental pollution.
25. Write two causes of poverty in India. Suggest two measures to remove poverty in India. 2+2=4
26. Point out four indicators of human development of a country. 4
27. Discuss the role of agriculture in economic development of India. 6
Discuss the common objectives of five-year planning of India.
28. Discuss the non-institutional sources which supply rural credit in India. 6
Discuss the relevance of infrastructure in developing the socio-economic aspects of a country.