Full Marks – 100
Time: 3 hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions
PART – A (Statistics for Economics)
- Answer the following as directed: 1×6=6
- a) What is meant by economic activity?
- b) Data which are collected by the investigator for the first time are known as primary data. [Write True or False]
- c) Mention one source of secondary data.
- d) Find out the mode of the following: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- e) Largest item – Smallest item = ?
- f) What is meant by statistical project?
- In what way is Statistics helpful in Economics? 2
Mention two characteristics of Statistics. 2
- Mention any two advantages of diagram in data presentation. 2
- Find the median from the following data: 10, 6, 15, 2, 3 2
- Mention two characteristics of an ideal average. 2
- What do you mean by Lorenz curve? State one use of Lorenz curve. 1+1=2
- What is mean deviation? Mention one merit of it. 1+1=2
- Distinguish between census method and sampling method of data collection. 4
- Represent the following data by a frequency distribution table: 4
Draw a histogram from the following: 4
|Wages (in Rs.)||0-10||10-20||20-30||30-40||40-50||50-60||60-70|
|No. of Workers||4||10||14||22||32||15||3|
- What is scatter diagram? Draw a perfectly positive correlation with the help of a scatter diagram. 2+2=4
With the help of the following data, calculate index numbers for 2014 taking 2013 as the base year: 4
|Commodity||Price in 2013 (Rs.)||Price in 2014 (Rs.)|
- Find out the mean from the following data: 4
|No. of Students:||5||15||30||12||8|
- Mention the necessary steps for developing a project. 4
- What are the measures of central tendency? Why is arithmetic mean considered as ideal measure? Which measure of central tendency is the most representative? 2+3+1=6
Calculate the standard deviation from the following data: 6
- Find the correlation coefficient with the help of Karl Pearson’s method from the data given below: 6
Explain the meaning of index number. Mention any four uses of index number. 2+4=6
PART – B (Indian Economic Development)
- Answer the following: 1×6=6
a) Mention one characteristic of Indian economy on the eve of independence.
b) Name the body which formulates economic plans in India.
c) What do you mean by disguised unemployment?
d) Define globalization.
e) What is import substitution?
f) In which year did China launch the Great Leap Forward (GLF) campaign?
16. Mention any two benefits of Green Revolution. 2
17. State two common goals (objectives) of planning in India. 2
18. State two important causes for decay of Indian handicrafts during the British rule. 2
19. Give two arguments against privatization in the Indian context. 2
20. Point out two indicators of human development of a country. 2
21. What are the two types of poverty? 2
22. Write down any four defects of agricultural marketing in India. 4
Mention any four non-institutional sources of rural credit in India. 4
- What is environment? Mention three causes of environmental pollution. 1+3=4
What is sustainable development? Mention any three strategies for sustainable development. 1+3=4
- Mention four causes of unemployment in India. 4
- What do you mean by human capital? Mention three sources of human capital. 1+3=4
Write the meaning of infrastructure. What are the two types of infrastructure? 4
- Mention four similarities of the economy of China, Pakistan and India. 4
- Explain the various weaknesses of economic reform in India. 6
Mention three merits and three demerits of globalization. 3+3=6
- What is organic farming? Identify four benefits of organic farming. 2+4=6
Discuss the poverty alleviation programmes taken by the Indian Government. 6