Full Marks : 100
Time : 3 hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions
PART A: STATISTICS FOR ECONOMICS
- Answer the following as directed :
a) Who is known as the father of Economics?
b) What is primary data?
c) Mention any one advantage of diagram in data presentation.
d) Quartiles divide series into ______ equal parts. (2, 3, 4, 5)
e) What is range?
f) What is a project?
2. What two importance’s of the study of Statistics in Economics. 2
Mention two characteristics of Statistics.
- Mention two sources of secondary data. 2
- Find the mean from the following data : 2
- What is wholesale price index number? 2
- Draw a perfectly positive correlation and a perfectly negative correlation with the help of scatter diagram. 1+1=2
- Write two advantages of arithmetic mean.
- What are the advantages of sampling method of data collection over the census method? 4
- Represent the following data by a frequency distribution table : 4
Draw a frequency polygon from the following data : 4
- What is correlation? State the significance of the values of correlation coefficient r are 1, -1 and 0. 1+3=4
With the help of the following data, calculate index numbers for 2016 taking 2015 as the base year : 4
|Commodity||Price in 2015||Price in 2016|
- Find the median from the following data : 4
|No. of Students||2||18||30||45||35||20||6||4|
- Mention the necessary steps in preparing a project. 4
- What is dispersion? What are its measures? Why is standard deviation called the best measure of dispersion? 1+2+3=6
What is mode? Find out mode from the following data : 1+5=6
- Calculate quartile deviation from the following data : 6
What is index number? Discuss the steps in constructing index number. 1+5=6
PART – B (Indian Economic Development)
- Answer the following :
- a) What was the main source of livelihood in India at the pre-Independence period?
- b) When was the First Five – Year Plan commenced in India?
- c) What do you mean by seasonal unemployment?
- d) What is mixed economy?
- e) What is economic infrastructure?
- f) Which sector of the economy contributes highest to GDP in China?
- Mention any two features of Indian agriculture. 2
- Point out two failures of economic reform in India. 2
- Mention any two sources of human capital. 2
- Mention any two non-institutional sources of rural credit in India. 2
- What are the two areas where Pakistan has performed better than India? 2
- What is globalization? Mention one merit of globalization. 1+1=2
- Mention four poverty alleviation programmes taken by the Government of India. 4
What do you mean by rural development? Mention two subjects related to rural development. 2+2=4
- Write down any four defects of agricultural marketing in India. 4
How is organic farming superior to conventional farming? 4
- State two advantages and two disadvantages of liberalization. 2+2=4
- What is sustainable development? Mention three objectives of sustainable development. 1+3=4
Mention four causes of environmental pollution in India.
- Make a comparison between India and China as regards with population size, density of population, birthrate and literacy rate. 4
- Discuss the role of agriculture in economic development of India. 6
Discuss the common objectives of Five-Year Planning of India. 6
- Discuss the various causes of unemployment in India. 6
Briefly explain the causes responsible for poverty in India. 6